Monday 12 March 2012

Finally - paintings arrive safely in Paris - *sigh of relief*

Some of the paintings for Paris - and my two models


My paintings have now been safely delivered to  the Musee d’art Naïf in Paris. Preparation and painting for the exhibition has taken over 18 months. The exhibition previews on 24th March 2012. 

‘I was immensely pleased to have been asked by France’s International Museum of Naïve Art to hold a solo show with them; it’s a huge compliment and confirmation for me and my work. When I began painting in my naïve style, 21 years ago, it was very much considered ‘outsider art’ in the UK.  It was hard to find any 'naive' art the UK, let alone in Wales.  I sold from a few  smaller galleries, and with the help of some great collectors and gradually my career grew. I just kept on painting in this style, as it felt right to me and I just love using colour, and painting scenes that make me smile; in essence I like colouring in!’

My career in the art world was not always so glamorous.  Aged just seven I knew I wanted to be an artist, after winning a ‘keep your teeth clean’ poster competion for under 8’s. However, six weeks into  an Art O level I was taken aside by my art teacher who explained that I would never make an artist as I couldn’t draw.  This only put me off for 10 years....  

...but it was the best thing that could have happened - as I pursued another interesting career, but kept on painting, gradually defining my work;  teaching myself as I went along; painting what and how I liked. I had no one molding me or teaching me the ‘right’ way. Hence my very unique style developed.

Naïve Art is now well established in the UK. But it has a longer hertitage in Europe – it’s roots come from Eastern Europe and it has been bought by serious collectors in France for many years. I began exhibiting with French Naïve Art groups in 2002; and later joined FIVAN, a European group of Naïve artists, where for the last three years i've has been the only painter to represent the UK at their international exhibitions. This year, after the Paris exhibition I will be showing with the FIVAN group at the Szeb Wilson Gallery in Katowice, Poland, as well as joint and solo shows throughout the UK.

The exhibition previews 24th March 2012 and continues until the end of May. Entry is free.
Details from the Musee d'art Naif (MIDAN) at  www.midan.org

No comments:

Post a Comment